Losing or having your keys stolen can be a stressful experience. Not only can it be frustrating and inconvenient, but it can also compromise the security of your home or business. Knowing what steps to take when you lose your keys can help alleviate some of the stress and keep your property safe. In this article, we’ll go over what to do if your keys are lost or stolen, as well as some tips for keeping your keys safe.
Table of Contents:
- Report it to the police
- Change your locks
- Get a spare key
- Consider getting a locksmith
- Additional tips for keeping your keys safe
Report it to the police
The first thing you should do if you think your keys have been stolen is to report it to the police. This will not only help them investigate the theft, but it may also increase your chances of recovering your keys. Be sure to provide as much information as possible about the circumstances of the theft, including when and where you last had your keys.
Change your locks
Once you’ve reported your keys stolen, it’s important to change the locks on your home or business. This will help prevent unauthorized access and give you peace of mind. Changing your locks is a quick and easy process that can be done by a professional locksmith. Be sure to choose a reputable locksmith with experience in lock replacement.
Get a spare key
If you don’t have a spare key, now is a good time to get one. Having a backup key can save you time and money in the event that you lose your keys again. You can either make a copy of your existing key or have a locksmith create a new key from scratch. Keep your spare key in a safe place, such as a lockbox or with a trusted friend or family member.
Consider getting a locksmith
If you’re locked out of your home or business, you may need to call a locksmith. A locksmith can help you gain access to your property and may even be able to help you change your locks. When choosing a locksmith, be sure to choose one with a good reputation and experience in emergency lockouts. Emergency Local Locksmith based in Harlow Essex is exactly who you need so no need to search any more.
Additional tips for keeping your keys safe
Here are some additional tips for keeping your keys safe and avoiding the hassle of losing or having them stolen:
- Don’t leave your keys in your car. If you must leave your keys in your car, make sure to lock it and hide the keys out of sight.
- Don’t give your keys to anyone you don’t trust. Only give your keys to people who you know and trust.
- Keep your keys in a safe place. When you’re not using your keys, keep them in a safe place, such as a lockbox or a hidden compartment.
- Get a key fob. A key fob is a small electronic device that can be used to unlock your doors. Key fobs are more secure than traditional keys, and they can help you avoid having to carry around a bulky set of keys.